Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Irreversible

:: do you want revenge

Yay! A French movie. Rented this movie in order to share it with a friend that I am exposing to the wide and vast world of French, German, and British cinema. Someone recommended Irreversible to me in a film class a year or so ago and I watched it, a little confused, a little annoyed with the camerawork, but in the end I liked it. This time around watched it with an idea of what was to come and was able to dissect it more than the last time. So – we see two guys who live above the gay club, The Rectum – how appropriate, right? And then the camera spins and takes us to The Rectum where we meet the two main characters of the film running through the club looking for ‘Tenia’ .. and I guess that means worm in French because people kept yelling back things about having ringworms in their asses. I like that this movie is in reverse. There are some fun moments in the movie one involving a horde of prostitutes and transsexual prostitutes chasing two guys down the street in a rage. There are two very explicit scenes in the film, one is a murder, the other is a rape. Difficult scenes to stomach. One thing I don’t understand about the film is why the director felt the need to make one feel as if they’re going to have an epileptic seizure watching the opening scene..wow, I had to look away. It didn’t make me feel anymore connected to the film or the rage and confusion the characters were going through. Felt like a waste of precious film. I like this movie.

8.5 out of 10 stars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home