Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Silent Hill

:: It’s raining ash.

I went into this movie with no idea whatsoever of what this movie was about. I knew it had a thrilling theme and was based on a video game. That’s it.
Well. The leading lady was simple enough to portray your everyday mom, the daughter wasn’t a cutie pie like the kid in ‘Dark Water’ therefore I didn’t care what happened to the kid or how mom would manage to save her from Silent Hill. Oh, by the way, Silent Hill is a place. A town which has been condemned after a fire ravaged the city and coal still burns underground so it’s an unsafe place to live. So, the little girl has nightmares, sleepwalks, and cries out, “Silent Hill” in her sleep. Long story short mom takes the little girl to Silent Hill (illegally) to find out why her adopted daughter is having these night terrors.

Wow, I’m bored already just writing the exposition.

The production design on this film is amazing. The town Silent Hill was totally creepy and from what my friend told me looked just like the video game. What creeped me out about the town of Silent Hill and it’s raining ash was how much it reminded me of what I imagine a concentration camp to look and feel like in 1942. The ash falling from the sky made me uncomfortable and all I could think of was freezing cold weather at Auschwitz and people being burned in crematoriums. But, that’s just my take on it.

Back to the story..mom takes the little girl to Silent Hill, nearly crashes, passes out and when she wakes up the girl is gone. Naturally she goes looking for her, but not without a little harassment from your neighborhood butch-but-cute-dyke police officer who happens to be wearing an all leather S&M-esque uniform. I swear. They didn’t explicitly call her a dyke, but come on. It’s the underlying theme for the subplot – she would later be burned at the stake.
The ladies go about the town looking for the girl, they run into some burning babies or something. My favorite part - a gang of funky evil twitching nurses with syringes and scalpels.

For most of the movie I didn’t know what was going on and the filmmakers didn’t do anything creative to explain to me what was going on. I guess if you’d played the game you would know what was happening and why..but for the non-gamer I was lost. Where I felt this movie failed the most was with a flashback sequence just past the halfway point of the movie. Because at this point the viewer has no idea why certain things are taking place in the movie. So, how do they explain what they couldn’t figure out how to write into the film in a decent way..? A long flashback, of course!! What better way to tell you what you just watched so that it makes sense. A cheap and easy way out, I say.
That’s all I have to say about Silent Hill.

6 out of 10 stars

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO.....burning babies, burning babies....LMAO

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home